Monday, July 24, 2006

Two bikes, one Soul

I have the two xs11s. One is a standard, all set up for touring with hard bags, music, CB, a comfy seat, extra lights, more wind protection, etc etc. And I have a couple of road trips coming up, so the standard is a natural choice.

I also have the factory Special, or just Special. It has really no weather protection, cumbersome music, no extra lights, a stiff suspension, and a tiny gas tank. Not really a design touring bike.

And yet I find myself thinking, on my upcoming road trips, I should be taking my Special, instead of the standard. I mean, I just got the standard last year, and before that I traveled with the special and had no problems. I rationalize, saying I can ride mostly during the day, so the lack of extra lights means less. I can pack less. The list goes on.

In the end, there is a simple truth. The standard is the bike I got for touring, and set up for touring, and should be touring on, regardless of my sentimental feelings towards the special. Yes, it used to be all I needed, but I used to pee in the bed too, until I discovered the bathroom was much better. The standard is better. Anything else on a long, long trip is like peeing in bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment