Friday, February 17, 2006

More about Not Riding.

My Girlfriend goes to school in River Falls Wisconsin. Apart from being in one of the prettier areas of the state of Wisconsin, it is also over 300 miles away from my home in Milwaukee.

I try to visit her every couple of weeks, and since I prefer to ride whenever I can, this means I take my motorcycle there with some frequency. Motorcycle parking is free on campus too, which is a nice bonus.

With Valentines day this past week, it was a natural time to go and visit. The temperatures were only in the 20s, but I can easily deal with the cold, and was thinking the ride would be nice.

Then I checked the weather for the ride back.

When traveling in the Midwest in winter, a close eye has to be paid to the forecast, since we can get some pretty good snowstorms. I was traveling to RF on Monday, and returning on Thursday, in time to work at 6pm. The forecast for Thursday was very bad, with a large snowstorm across the entire state, and temps in the single digits - a little cold for riding. I did think about leaving on Wednesday instead, but the woman didn't like the idea of cutting the visit short, and so I was in my car.

There is a lesson here. I really wanted to ride the bike. In fact, the bike was packed, and I ended up bringing the saddlebags in the car. But Febuary is just a little too early in the year for longer road trips, and so I took the car. It was saver, and it is early in the year. There will be other trips.

Be safe, and keep the rubber side down.

No comments:

Post a Comment